Books for Baby Ozzie


I got some great news on Valentine's Day! It wasn't chocolate or flowers, but a baby nephew! I'm an auntie!

Little Ozzie is the first child of my sister and brother-in-law, and the first grandchild of both sets of grandparents. So he's getting lots of love, which is much needed after some very sad times over the last few years.

And what kind of gifts you give to a baby who has an aunt who likes to read and parents who are starting a library for him? Books!

When I told my coworkers that I was looking for books for the baby before he was born, they jumped in and helped right away. They even sent emails with recommendations! I am very grateful for their help.

In the first shipment that I sent before he was born, I gave him All Because You Matter and The ABCs of Black History. And I also gave him some onesies and pajamas, because a baby needs clothes.

This is the picture of the second shipment, after he was born. I went to Barnes and Noble and found some great reads for him! Since his parents have added a few of their childhood favorites to his library, I add a few of my favorites as well (which is why you see The Snowy Day and Corduroy). 

I really want to find books for Ozzie that will reflect the world in which he will be living in. Growing up, there weren't too many children's books with people of color. Now, there's a huge selection of books in which he will get to see people that look like him. There are so many books now that I have to actively talk myself out of buying more and that he may get them in due time. And since Ozzie is a resident of Tennessee (Nashville, to be exact), he will be automatically enrolled in Imagination Library, where he will get books until he's 5. Thanks Dolly!  And they live in a place that has a good library system, so I know there will be trips to the library.

Will Ozzie grow up to be an avid reader? Time will tell. At least he's starting off on the right foot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010