Overdue: Reckoning with the Public Library

October will make 16 years working in libraries. I have worked in college libraries (two and four year schools). I have worked in a medical library which served a medical college and a hospital system. I have even been on the board of trustees of my local public library system. I now work for that same system, over a decade after I got my first library job working for another public library system in the state.

When I read an excerpt of Overdue in Electric Literature, my initial thought was "this reads like BS, but I'll give it a shot." But I didn't buy the book. Instead, I had the library order it and put it on hold for me (like a good patron).

And for the most part, my feelings were right.

Amanda Oliver spent seven years working at libraries until she gave it up. Most of that time, she was a elementary school librarian in Washington, DC. After she got burned out from that, she worked nine months at Northwest One, a branch of the DC Public Library System. The library is an area of our nation's capital that is going through major gentrification. Many of the patrons were unhoused and suffered from mental illness and/or drug abuse. Oliver experienced a lot during her time, including stalking, personal insults, sexual harassment, outbursts and seeing overdoses. You would think this was why she left libraries. But it's not. She left because she got into an MFA program and moved across the country.  She was planning this before she took the job at the public library.

When I got to this part, I nearly threw the book across the house. But I didn't because it's a library book and I didn't want to pay for the damage.

I really don't know what qualified her to write a book about public libraries and society after working a one for nine months. Here are some other things that made me mad about this book:

  • Not all public libraries are the same. Oliver worked at a urban library in one of the biggest cities in the country. In past jobs, I have worked with the poor and unhoused, but did not have the harsh experiences that she had. I currently work in a suburban library that is going through rapid population growth and gentrification. I hardly deal with the problems that she dealt with at Northwest One. There are libraries that serve all different types of populations, from rural to major cities. Oliver writing a book about public libraries based on one library bothered me.
  • Oliver talks about how libraries should help vulnerable populations instead of focusing on makerspaces, dance spaces and the amenities that DC's central library has. But we help those populations in many ways. Libraries direct people to the right resources. We helped them with jobs and unemployment. And I know my colleagues and I assisted with rental assistance when COVID relief funds were available. And back to the first point, not all libraries are the same.
  • She talks about privilege and making sure it's in check, but didn't realize her privilege when she left her job to move to California to pursue an MFA that was fully paid for. Many library paraprofessionals can not afford to go back to school to get an MLIS (or any degree) and can't move up unless they have the degree. Also, those who do go back to school and get an MLIS may have a hard time finding the first librarian job, especially if they are a minority.
  • She felt that library administration support was low at her job. And I know that could be the case in some places. But there are some really good administrators out there because I see it all of the time.
  • Doing your research in the beginning of a major pandemic when everyone is burned out is not a great idea.
  • That next-to-last chapter was a hot mess. It made no sense.
  • This book seems very tone deaf right now with libraries and librarians are going through record book bans, threats to our lives, buildings and jobs, and people finding ways to stifle our work.
However, there were some good things about the book that she addressed:
  • Vocational awe and how libraries are seen as the beacons of the community. People just think we read books all day and not deal with people from all walks of life.
  • American libraries were created for and by White men and the racist and sexist things libraries have done throughout the history of our country. Same with the American Library Association.
  • Policing in libraries. Some, including the DC Public Library, has a police force.
  • Research on complex PTSD, empathy fatigue, lack of support and burnout among library workers.
Another major things that really irked me about this book was that despite her dealings with the public, she didn't seem like she tried to get to know them and didn't seem to want to humanize them. When you work a library, no matter which one, you get to see the same people all of the time. And some you get to know. Like a patron that you put books on hold for because you know what they read. One patron, at first, seemed like a grump. But now hugs you every time he comes because you help him find his favorite books. The teens that make you laugh. Seeing the babies and kids get their first library cards and get excited about books. Helping someone get unemployment benefits. Having a patron check out the books you recommended.  Teaching seniors computer skills. Having a patron brighten your day by bringing snacks or flowers (like the ones above). Or just being a kind face and providing great customer service. Are there some bad days at the library? Yes. But believe me: there are many more good days than bad.

The author was also featured on the First Draft podcast. Listen here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010