Hello! I'm still in recovery mode from what's been happening in Charleston the last few weeks. I'll be back next Friday with the return of Book News. Have a safe and happy holiday!
As of today, I have read ten true crime books this year. I think out of all the ones that I've read, only one of them I really didn't like. Most of these books were released this year, but there maybe a few that are older. A Poisoned Passion by Diane Fanning: Air Force Staff Sgt. Mike Severance survived Iraq and Afghanistan, but did not survive his marriage to Wendi Davidson. Wendi, a vet, poisoned her husband and threw away his body in a stock pond. Fanning does a good job of highlighting both families affected by this crime. Savage Son by Corey Mitchell : Bart Whitaker hires two of his friends to kill his immediate family so he can inherit their million-dollar fortune. Only problem is that his father lives. It takes a while for the cops to catch up with Bart and his friends and now Bart is on death row. And his father still defends him (as much as you can defend a son who tried to kill you). Our Little Secret by Kevin Flynn and Rebecca Lavoie : For 20 years, the murd...
Wonderful. That is the best word I can use to describe the 16th Annual South Carolina Book Festival . I had so much fun and got to a chance to meet (and re-meet) some wonderful authors during this two day event in Columbia. After waking up early Saturday morning and driving about an hour an a half to the Capital City, I arrive at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center. And the first person I see when I arrived is Kwame Alexander. And he notices that I'm wearing my Capital Bookfest tee. I also met with my friend Valinda (who was volunteering at the festival) at the door and she took pictures. For those who have seen these pictures on my Facebook page realize that I am not smiling in that one. When Valinda took the other picture, it looks like I'm frowning. But I was getting ready to smile when she took that picture. After greeting Kwame, Valinda and I went to see Kimberla Lawson Roby. She talked about her new...
As of this writing, I have read 72 books in 2010. This is about 2-4 more books than I did in 2009. Some of my friends say that this is an accomplishment, considering I am six credits shy of my Master's in Library Science, bought a house and moved out of my parents' house, working a full-time job (and for a part of this year, a part-time job on Saturdays), becoming a member of my local library system's board of trustees and being active in Delta. This year brought us a variety of books that we enjoyed, and some we didn't. We looked forward to some books by authors who had not come out with anything in years, just to be disappointed in the end. We also heard from some promising new authors that gave us some of the best books of 2010. And we also read from favorites that kept us entertained and reminded us why we read their books. And now, I would like to announce the best fiction books I read in 2010 (in no particular order): 32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter: As stated be...
Comments
Post a Comment