Book News You Can Use 5/9/14



Relax in Paradise Marsha MehranFarley Mowat and Leslie Thomas.

Congratulations to all of the O. Henry Prize winners!

The Residue Years and Long Division were two of the nominees of the Saroyan Prize.

A sequel to The Pillars of Earth is on the way, but no date of release has been made.

The Daily Mail has to pay JK Rowling after making false claims about the Harry Potter author.

In the article I posted last week, the author of the new Michael Jordan book said that he did not interview Jordan for the book, but had interview him once before.  So why are people mad that Jordan's racism quotes aren't new?

Herbie Hancock's memoir will be released in October.

Recent interviews/book events caught on video and audio include Walter Mosley and Michael Eric Dyson, bell hooks (one includes Janet Mock) and Kiese Laymon.

Marcus Books in San Francisco has been evicted from their building.

The New York Public Library has abandoned plans to revamp their main library.

A human chain of more than 400 people passed books from their town's old library to the new one.

After news that Ladies Home Journal will now be published quarterly, Jet will only publish digitally.  I wonder how this will affect my subscription.

Wes Moore will be sharing veterans' stories on a new three-part PBS documentary.

There will be no Book News for the next two weeks as I travel to Chicago for the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting. I will be spending a whole week there mingling and sharing ideas with other medical librarians.  This also means that I won't be attending the South Carolina Book Festival (which I was on the fence about attending).  I also hope to do some sightseeing, enjoy some food (looking forward to trying some food trucks and Garrett Popcorn since I LOVE POPCORN) and meet up with some friends that live in the area. Since I know Kanye will be getting married around the time I visit his hometown, I won't be able to see him, but I hope at least get an Oprah sighting (if she's in town). And maybe a Common and a Jennifer Hudson sighting too.   And if someone can take to Gary, Indiana to visit 2300 Jackson Street, that will be great too!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010

National Book Club Conference 2011