Silver Girl


When I saw the opportunity to preview Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand, I decided to take a chance on it. First, I wanted to read something that was out of my comfort zone. I was also curious to read the book that caused Tayari Jones to change the name of her book. (And if you haven’t read Silver Sparrow, please go and read it ASAP. You will thank me for it.)

This story is about two friends, Meredith and Connie, who have both recently lost their husbands. Meredith was living the lap of luxury until her husband Fred becomes the fictional Bernie Madoff. With Fred serving the rest of his life in prison, Meredith must figure out how to move on while also being investigated for fraud.

Connie becomes a sort-of-savior to Meredith by taking her to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer. But Connie is going through her own grief with the death of her husband and her adult daughter not speaking to her.

Throughout this book, the women reexamine their lives through flashbacks, which include the death of Meredith’s father while in college and a falling-out among the friends. Meanwhile, they find love in unexpected places (one through a neighbor, while the other through their high school sweetheart – which happens to be the brother of one of the two friends).

This book was enjoyable and easy to read. Hilderbrand did a good job of describing the scenery, the people and the situations they were in. Also, you could relate to the friends’ situations and I found rooting for them.

I don’t know if I would read any of Hilderbrand’s other books, but I would recommend this to others.

Disclaimer: Advance copy received from netGallery and Little Brown and Company.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010