Capital Bookfest Recap

The first ever Capital Bookfest in Charleston was a HUGE SUCCESS!! Between 4,000 and 5,000 people showed up on a chilly Saturday to the Charleston County Public Library's main branch. This was really good considering yesterday was the last day for the Coastal Carolina Fair. I would like to commend Kwame Alexander and the Capital Bookfest staff and volunteers for coming to Charleston and making the event the great day that it was.

It was great to see many of my friends, neighbors, coworkers and other people from the community at this event. This shows that Charleston loves their authors (if they live in Charleston or not). Many authors and poets including Nikki Giovanni, Haki Nadhubuti, Bret Lott, Mary Alice Monroe, Tina McElroy Ansa and many others shared their talents and works with the Lowcountry.

Here are a few pictures from the event:


Entering CCPL's Main Library

Author A. C. Moore and myself

Haki Madhubuti

Nikki Giovanni signing books

Victoria Rowell and myself (and I was over the moon, being a big Y&R fan)

Tina McElroy Ansa (left) and Tananarive Due during their presentation


The Post and Courier's take on the event can be found here.

I hope that this event will bring attention to the fact that the people in Charleston would like to see authors, even if it is just only at a book store (I saw you, Books-A-Million publicist). With the success of this event, I hope that many literary events, including this one, will come to the Lowcountry.

Comments

  1. Great pictures. This was a magnificent event and you are such a wonderful, beautiful person. It was a pleasure meeting you. Let me know what you think about the book. Consider me as your newest follower. :)
    A.C. Moore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010