Book News You Can Use 9/13/13



Since today is Friday the 13th, I though about putting a picture of Jason Voorhees up.  But I decided on this instead.  It's NSFW, but it's funny.

Sonia Sanchez turned 79 years young Monday. A documentary has been created about her life and a Kickstarter fund has been started to raise $55,000 to complete it.

Who would have though Dennis Rodman would be an unofficial diplomat, much less write a book with the leader of North Korea?

Author NoViolet Bulawayo and Anthony Marra discuss their coming-of-age books.

And speaking of NoViolet, We Need New Names made the Booker Prize short-list.

Another story about "Who Asked You?" comes in as Terry McMillian's new book is released next week.

So how come I didn't know that MSN had a book website until it shut down?

Jesmyn Ward received coverage of her new book Men We Reaped in the New York Times.

Roxane Gay had a conversation with Kiese Laymon, author of How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others and America and Long Division.

Roxane also wrote about how there needs to be some diversity in literary conversations.  Amen.

Do you know the one thing that white authors can get away with but minority writers can't?

Comments

  1. I read Kiese Laymons debut novel "Long Division" and I'm not quite sure how I felt about it. I think he's a pretty cool dude though. I attended one of his author events and will be attending another when he comes to the Baltimore Book Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who else has read the book besides you, but the reviews that have come in have been positive. My local library doesn't have it yet, so I may have to ask them to get it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010