It's almost here: Capital Bookfest!!



It seems like yesterday that I had just heard about a new book festival coming to Charleston. That was back in February. Now the Capital Bookfest, which will be at the main library of the Charleston County Public Library is now 5 DAYS AWAY!!

I am so excited because this is the first time I can go to a book festival and not have to travel for it. And there are so many big-named authors (several that live here in Charleston) that this is an exciting time to be in the Lowcountry!

Some of the authors include:

Nikki Giovanni: I admit that I love Soror Nikki. I saw her speak at the SC Book Festival several years ago and she is AWESOME!! She will be reading from her new book Bicycles. She will also take part in the annual meeting of the CCPL Friends of the Library, which is the next day.

Victoria Rowell: Until a few years ago, I was a huge fan of The Young and the Restless. And of course, one of my favorite characters was Drucilla Winters. Who can come up from stealing jewelry from Fenmore's to helping run Jabot? Even though she is no longer on the show (and it hasn't been the same since), Victoria still is out doing her thing, writing and bringing awareness to foster care. She will be there promoting her books, Secrets of a Soap Opera Diva and The Women Who Raised Me.

Mary Alice Monroe: Not to be confused with the author who writes the God Don't Like Ugly series, Mary Alice Monore's books are about strong women who find their way in the world.. And they have been very successful. She will be promoting her new book, Last Light Over Carolina.

Sonia Sanchez: This amazing poet, playwright, writer and activist has been sharing her works for more than 40 years. She will be at the festival promoting her new book, Morning Haiku.

Bret Lott: I remember it was a big deal when Lady O picked his book Jewel as a part of her book club selection, because he was teaching at College of Charleston at that time (he left and came back to C of C). And she did a good job with that selection.

Jenny Sanford: As many of you know, she's South Carolina's Former First Lady who left the Governor after it was discovered that he didn't go to the Appalachian Trail after all. She will be signing copies of her book about her marriage, Staying True.

Tananarive Due: When I told a soror that Tananarive was going to be at the event, she could not obtain her excitement. Most of Due's work is about the paranormal (including Blood Colony), but don't sleep on the Tennyson Hardwick series, which she writes with husband Steven Barnes and actor Blair Underwood.

The Capital Bookfest will be Saturday (November 6) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The first 1,000 people will receive a free book! For more information, visit their Website at http://capita2.bizland.com/SC.html . They are also on Facebook and Twitter.

Hope to see you there! :-)

Comments

  1. Hi, my name is A.C. Moore. I'm an independent author and I'll be at the Capital Book Fest too. I participated in the one in MD and it was excellent. I'll have my two novels with me. Even Angels Need Miracles and Always Room for Dessert. Please stop by my table. Hoping to meet you.

    A.C. Moore
    www.MooreNovels.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 South Carolina Book Fesitval

National Book Club Conference 2011

10 Best Fiction Books of 2010